Sunday, August 19, 2007

Fashionable Sake




On my way home from work on Friday, I stumbled across this sassy, sparkling, bottle of Hou Hou Shu Sparkling Sake (by Marumoto Brewery, founded way back at the end of the Edo period) at Connecticut Avenue Liquors in Dupont Circle. In the aesthetic sense, I am a sucker for Sanrio, origami papers, and anything Asian and cute, so I let out of squeal and submitted to the purchase. Upon checkout, the store owner also let out her own squeal and told me to prepare to fall in love. Hou Hou Shu is a high-quality Junmai sake made with high quality, carefully selected rice only. It has the creaminess of yogurt and notes of banana and citrus notes while still managing to be crisp and refreshing. The 180 ML bottle is a little pricey at $9.99 but considering a syrupy uncomplex frappucino runs you close to the same cost, this is my choice for delicious summer pleasure. And when you are done, the bottle makes a great little vase.

No comments: