Thursday, April 17, 2008

Glorious

I have been trolling the web for weeks looking for a better picture of this outfit, but since it occurred pre-paparazzi-infested awards shows, I don't know if one is going to turn up. The best I could find was this YouTube video. So: here is Diane Keaton accepting an Oscar for Annie Hall in 1978. (Meryl Streep would win the following year for Kramer vs. Kramer. Why do I know this? I am currently writing a paper about Kramer and a post about Meryl-as-Joanna-Kramer's delightfully neutral, nerdy outfits has been brewing in my noggin for a while. Prepare yourself.) I am digressing -- dudes. Look at Diane's freaking outfit. Can you imagine the reactions if someone wore this to an awards show today?



(PS: Last-minute reminder! Ian Svenonius DJs at Bourbon tonight! The tunes will be bumptastic.)

2 comments:

J.J. said...

Diane's been flouting red carpet awards show fashion conventions for years. But yeah, E! would draw and quarter her for this getup today.

I want to read this paper on Kramer. (As I recall from the YouTubes, Meryl also had a bold fashion choice when she accepted for Kramer -- which was actually two years after Keaton.)

Emily said...

Indeed, Diane has been breaking sartorial conventions since her earliest days in the spotlight. Her Annie Hall outfits were mostly self-styled. This outfit is far and away my favorite, and despite the fact that her red-carpet looks are always unusual, I think this one stands in a category by itself.

I should have been clearer: Kramer came out in '79, but you're right -- the actual win occured in '80.

You can absolutely read the paper, although it's sure to be a mess. :)