Thursday, January 22, 2009

Music for Lovers: Debbie Harry

Do you guys know about Debbie Harry’s first solo album, Koo Koo? If you didn't, that's ok, because from what I hear, the record didn't shake too many tailfeathers when it came out. Like ... everyone really hated it. It was a fervently anticipated collaboration between two mega-stars: Debbie Harry, then at the apex of Blondie fame, and Chic’s Nile Rodgers, who, despite the waning popularity of his band, was a storied and respected producer. Add to this mix, if you will, album art designed by visual mind-fucker H. R. Giger - the person responsible for any nightmare you've ever had about Alien - and you have a pretty batshit record on your hands. PS: It was 1981, and music was just like, “Whaaa?”



Seriously?

H. R. Giger directed Debbie in two videos: "Backfired" "Now I Know You Know." I couldn't decide which one to post - the videos are equally bizarre and the songs are equally ... um ... out of it? - so I am posting both! Yay!





Hmm, what fashion comments to make about these? I am sooo into the wig and printed bodysuit in "Now I Know You Know", but the cyborg headband and ballet-neck tank in "Backfired" are killer too! Above all, though, I loved the murky green-black palette that pervades throughout both videos - one that can also be seen in the diaphanous confection that Debbie sports in the video for "Heart of Glass."



You know we love neutrals here at Listopad, and this is inspiring me to further explore the greener, smokier end of the neutral spectrum - earth tones and what have you. Also, I'm pretty sure I want Debbie's haircut.

No comments: